Thursday, October 22, 2009


Thanksgiving Day 21: Sonnie and Chère

Many people who drink coffee at the TH comment on how good it is. I am not ashamed to tell you that 18 per cent of the credit should go to Sonnie, who told me that the only coffee worth drinking is the coffee with 18% cream in it -- none of this half-and-half stuff for her! I started getting a carton of it when I knew she would be visiting; and then we started to serve other guests the same cream; and the rest is history. So not only I, but all coffee drinkers at Nilgiris should be grateful for Sonnie today ...

Sonnie has a personality that doesn't quit. She has a spirit that yearns to make people laugh and a ready wit that enables her to do so. She is smart and resourceful and forceful when it comes to standing up for what is right. She loves God and has the tender heart of one of those children Jesus commended when it comes to her learning about the Kingdom of Heaven.

Sonnie's faithful sidekick is Chère, aka Zoe. I have never been much of a pet person, but Zoe has stolen my heart. How can you not love someone who is so excited to see you that she pretty much knocks you over every time you arrive at her home? Someone who wants to be near you, even if it's just sitting on your feet or with her head in your lap? Zoe is truly Sonnie's child, and has inherited her mother's personality to boot!

Sonnie has offered our family much comfort over the last two or three years; but she herself has had her share of deep, dark waters to navigate. I believe that Zoe has been her faithful companion and one of the sources from which she can derive comfort.

So Sonnie, thank you for the love and joy you bring to your adopted family. And come visit Nilgiris soon -- there'll be seafood quiche, strawberry cheesecake, and some of the best coffee you've ever tasted waiting for you!

"I've got you, babe!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a leaf to read ...